Wednesday, 16 September 2026

This Month in British Railway Modelling; A Seaside Cafe


The colourful, crowded, bonkers finale of the run of colourful summer projects for British Railway Modelling; the Seaside Cafe. My esteemed editor sent me a seaside cafe kit alongside the sand and shingle and such for the beach... I chose to split it into two articles as I reckoned it would justify separately producing the two briefs, instead of rolling it into one.


The inspiration for the beach had been Criccieth, not least because at the end of the promenade is Dylans, the cafe in this marvellous building designed by the esteemed Sir Clough Williams Ellis.


The kit is by Gaugemaster, and is a H0 scale kit of a foreign prototype. It had no interior, and was quite nice, if needing some modifications.


Interior, and kitchen (you'll notice in the above I failed to put a doorway through to the main part of the cafe, a bit of an oversight for somebody who worked in bloody catering for over 7 years. I did go back and modify it).


And again, I went down the colourful, kitsch route; map pins for balloons again, as it looked way too bland inside. Hey, it's the 90's in this project, nobody gave a stuff about the environment.


Speaking of colourful, kitsch tat, the last of the 00 scale inflatables and things made for the projects, some cheapy figures that needed some spot-repainting, and some truly excellent 3D-printed seagulls.


Other elements to add a bit of colour to the scene were some beach huts, made from Peco garden shed laser-cut kits.


Lots of room for cameos in amongst the chaos of a busy summer lunchtime. Gulls raid the overflowing bins...


...kids and parents chasing runaway toys...


...holiday-makers at the huts...


...trains rattle past, almost unnoticed...


...families play on the beach.


Yep, colour, chaos, and kitsch. Loved doing this run of projects, but ready to do something a bit darker and moodier now. That said, I've got a seaside-ish Cambrian Coast project to do for Hornby first, though that should brighten the Autumnal months a little.


And in the mag. On the cover too!







 

No comments:

Post a Comment